We are currently looking for a Spring/Summer 2017 intern!
SPRING/SUMMER 2017 WPC COMMUNICATIONS AND ADMINISTRAION INTERNSHIP
The Washington Peace Center is a multi-issue, grassroots, anti-racist organization working for peace, justice and nonviolent social change in the metropolitan Washington D.C. area. We envision a world based on respect for people and the planet that is achieved through nonviolence, peace and social justice.
Our mission is to provide education, resources, and action for those working for positive social change and a world free from oppression. We strengthen the impact of peace and justice movements by:
- Fostering greater collaboration among activist groups
- Bridging the gap between global, national & local issues and communities, and
- Providing the material support to achieve these goals.
Currently, the Peace Center serves as a central organizing and coalition hub for DC-based anti-war, social justice and peace-focused organizations. Our main program areas are:
1) Education: To provide educational programs and materials such as teach-ins and film series;
2) Community Resources: To facilitate and encourage cooperation among anti-war, peace and social justice groups and to provide resources and structural support for groups and individuals to work more effectively on their own campaigns and in collaboration with others;
3) Action: To provide assistance and leadership for public demonstrations and direct actions that contribute to world peace and justice.
Currently we are looking to fill one Communications and Administration Internship.
Communications and Administration Internship
- Attending community rallies and events put on by organizational allies to do outreach for WPC and report back and represent WPC participation on Social Media.
- Helping keep our online calendar up-to-date – the most comprehensive calendar of progressive events in the DC area.
- Assisting with our weekly Activist Alert email that goes out to almost 7000 people, and is opened by almost 2000 each week.
- Working with Hootsuite, Salsa, and other tools to promote and expand our presence on Twitter, Facebook, listservs and blogs.
- Providing support for Equipment Rentals and management of office.
- Providing administrative support to the Trainers Network, Global2Local program, anti-war organizing, and other Peace Center programs.
We encourage applicants to work on issues and projects that are important to them and that help them develop their skills. An ideal candidate will have some student organizing experience, background in activism or interest in politics and/or be excited to learn. They will be flexible, interested and engaged in all parts of social justice work, comfortable with computers, able to pick up programs quickly and eager to learn.
Intern will leave with experience using popular activist and nonprofit communications tools, a better understanding of the anti-war movement and local justice issues, be better equipped to work in coalitions and support daily nonprofit office activities, and will be a better activist. This internship will pay $300 as a transportation stipend. Travel to local events will also be covered by WPC.
Minimum of 20 hours a week – 3-4 days preferred if possible, Monday-Friday from 11 am to 6 pm. Start date is mid-March; end date could be June-August, negotiable. Availability should be indicated in the applicant's cover letter. Please note: preference will be given to those who can work Monday-Friday during our regular office hours.
No minimum education requirement. Dates are flexible.
Application instructions: Send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line “Communications Intern."
Application deadline is March 15, 2017 (COB).
The Washington Peace Center is always looking for people committed to making the world a better place who might also be potential Board members! We are looking for committed, passionate people who care about the peace and justice community and the Washington Peace Center to help guide and support this long-standing, grassroots organization. This is an opportunity to be a part of an exciting local organization and help shape its vision and goals. Click here for info.
Check back for other opportunities, which will be posted as available.